Thursday, July 19, 2018

Reflecciones

We've been back in the US for 3 days now and I'm already experiencing some serious Honduras withdrawals! I'm not sure what I miss more..the wonderful group of residents/attendings/family members that began to feel like family, the 6:30am runs in Las Lajas (this is maybe more of a love/hate relationship), getting to use and improve my Spanish, prescribing more mebendazole than I'd ever imagined possible or meeting and learning about the culture of the beautiful people of Honduras.


It was an action-packed, exhausting, eye-opening and extremely rewarding week. In my reflections of the trip over the past few days I have come to realize several things. First, I am extremely grateful that our residency program allows all its residents to experience a global health trip should they choose. Not only this, but what a unique opportunity it is to get to experience and practice global health alongside some of our amazing attendings. I've also been thinking a lot about how exciting the partnership our residency/global health fellowship has with ENLACE is. As we continue to bring groups down to Honduras, each trip improves upon the last. I am hopeful that we continue to be able to create more sustainable ways to help the people of El Diviso and Palmichal Carmen and beyond.


I couldn't be more grateful for our time in Honduras. The trip has lit a fire within me to keep global health as a part of the practice going forward. I hope to return to Taulabe soon! Until then..chequeleque panqueque :)


Kelsey Goodwin
Family Medicine Resident, PGY-3

No comments:

Post a Comment