Tuesday, September 11, 2018


Regresso



I have been lucky enough to have traveled to many different countries for work and vacation. This trip, however, marks the first time I get to go back to the same place twice. The last time I was here, I had by 6month old daughter in tow and it’s not until this trip that I realized how much that had given me tunnel vision. I missed my daughter dearly this time, but I noticed the beautiful surroundings a little more clearly, interacted with the local team more closely.
Being my second time, I could really settle in to familiar surroundings. Improved Spanish helped a lot tambien! At first, the poverty is all you can see. But this time, I was more able to appreciate the incredible welcome, the care with which Don Israel(our host dad for all intents and purposes) shepherded us up and down the mountains, the kindness with which he treated all the villagers, and a surprisingly wicked sense of humor. The smiling faces of the children ecstatic to receive a calcomania(sticker), and the crazy good footwork of the kids who schooled me at futbol were and added bonus!  I look forward to a third visit to this amazing country and the continuing shift in perspective that each trip brings.



Emily Fisher
Community Medicine and Global Health Fellow

No comments:

Post a Comment