Thursday, April 21, 2016

Post Medical Mission to Honduras

Let me begin by expressing my continuous gratitude to Dr. Sarah Jones for inviting me to join the KP Napa-Solano Global Health trip.  In addition, I am thankful to Drs Symkowick & O’Connell for allowing me to participate in this amazing experience.  Drs Stecker & Chen for being yourselves, which is fabulous, OF COURSE!  Indiana University team (Dr. Javier Sevilla-Martir, Dr. Daniel Gomes, & Enrica), ENLACE, Interpreters (Enrica, Carole & Ivan), Honduran residing in Texas (Dr. Juan Vasquez), our 1st Global Health Sub-Intern Medical Student, Angela Rodgers,the beautiful local Hondurans & last but certainly not least, Dr Symkowick’s wife, Leigh (an Art Teacher) & kids (Marta, Gabe & Louisa).  It was an honor working side-by-side with a multidisciplinary team, (Physicians, Medical Student, Dentists, Periodontist, Interpreters, Teacher, Kids & myself, an admin), assisting in any way possible for the short time we had in Honduras.  

In the beginning of the trip, I was hesitant in regards to how may I help during the trip since I’m not a physician, medical student, Dentist, etc.  My primary role was to take photos, (which I love doing), however, one can take so many photos in a day.  The first village was busy and Dr. Juan Vasquez, a Honduran who lives in Texas slowly asked for assistance, then the Periodontist, Dr. Gomes and the local Dentists asked for my help as well.  My hesitation was over!  I felt very useful after the first village.  



Our hosts, Israel Gonzalez, Clinic Resident Administrator & Dr. Floripe Hernandez who runs Clinica Dr. David Randall Williams were extremely hospitable, welcoming & helpful.  Israel provided in depth education to our team about the village communities every evening.  Love him!  

Chicho offered his lending hands with a smile throughout our entire stay.  And Ivan, (Israel & Dr. Floripe's son), and wife, Carole were excellent interpreters.  














The 4 outlying villages our team visited are beautifully located up on the mountains which ranged from 20 - 45 minutes from home-base, (driving 5-10 mph in a narrow uphill dirt road).  The communities were welcoming and very friendly.  

We made 4 home visits to patients who were unable to make it to our location & assisted with 3 home stove installations.  Soccer clinic with the local kids were led by the Symkowick kids & Dr. Vasquez.  Final day in Taulabe were physicals with eye exams & dental screens to two very big group of school kids in the clinic.


Our multidisciplinary team worked very well together as if we’ve known each other for several years.  For me, the trip was bonding & highly rewarding.  

I look forward to future invitation(s) with the KP Napa-Solano Global Health Program, especially Honduras!

Jojo Delacruz Garces (Gilberto)
  Family Medicine Residency Assistant
  Kaiser Permanente Napa-Solano  

3 comments:

  1. Great information about on medical mission Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post Nice Post keep it up.Excellent post.I want to thank you for this informative post. I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.
    bruce a. kehr m.d.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got the superb information from these blogs finally.38 7 clinic near me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t waste my free time that’s why I read the informative things when I got this blog I really enjoyed reading this.walk in clinic near me open now

    ReplyDelete