Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The Generosity of Children - Jessica DeJarnette, R3

As a member of the largest group of Kaiser volunteers to join the Honduras ENLACE trip since its inception two years ago I am particularly impressed by one aspect of this group that sets it apart from other volunteer projects I have worked with: the number of children on our team and their enthusiasm. We had approximately fourteen kids in our group ranging in age from 7 to 18 (there is a lovely 6 month old as well, but for the purposes of this post I will focus on those old enough to walk J); I have volunteered for a variety of projects in the past, but have never worked with such a large group of children. I enjoy interacting with kids but have never considered them to be particularly helpful when it comes to clinical work.

However, I was proven wrong by the youth on this trip. Their laughter, their exuberance, their eagerness to help out in any task no matter how menial, was so impressive. The laughter, spirit of collaboration and excitement made this week both meaningful and fun. It was loud and at times chaotic, but overall these kids, in my opinion, contributed more to the project than the medical providers. They were running the pharmacy, interviewing patients, assisting the dentists, doing art with the local children, hauling luggage, building latrines, basically anything that had to do with the project they were involved with in some capacity. They also collected soccer cleats in the US to hand out to the local children in Las Lajas. And all of this on their summer break, when most of their peers would just want to be hanging out with their friends or playing video games. I heard very little complaining despite a vastly different diet and living conditions then most of them are accustomed to. Additionally the enthusiasm was still present even though a vast majority of the group fell sick to various GI ailments that tend to greet visitors to the tropics with vigor!

I remember being around 10-12 years old and wanting so badly to feel useful. I couldn’t wait to be a grown-up when people would actually take me seriously and I could contribute something meaningful. Now that I am technically a grown-up with grown-up responsibilities, I long for the freedom and silliness of youth. Working and living alongside 14 children and teenagers this week was an excellent reminder to me that even though being a physician is a very demanding and extremely serious profession by nature; one should always strive to find joy in your work and daily life, no matter how menial it can seem. Alongside this special group even counting out pills into small plastic baggies felt like fun! This week was a great reminder to me that without joy, work can lose its meaning, and begin to feel more like indentured servitude. Lately my life has felt like more of the latter as I am going on my fourth year of residency, and am about to celebrate my 10th anniversary of starting a career in medicine. Applying for jobs and thinking about exceedingly boring (sorry financiers!) adult things like 401(k)s, variable interest rates, and mortgages is the part of adulthood that my twelve year old self neither knew much about nor looked forward to. 

That being said, I am going to try and remember the lessons I learned from my young colleagues this trip as I have a lot of adulting to do this year:
1) An excellent way to blow off steam at the end of a long work day is to play a pick-up game of soccer
2) Glove balloons never get old
3) Knowing a couple of goofy jokes is a great way to fire up the crowd

4) Everyone has something meaningful to contribute, no matter their age or education level J











No comments:

Post a Comment