Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Worried Well - Jessica DeJarnette, R3

The Worried Well

 

An interesting phenomenon every primary care physician can attest to is the number of patients on their schedule who consist of the “worried well” or otherwise healthy people who aren’t that ill but come to the doctor for very minor complaints. Ailments like the common cold, eczema, constipation, or a small scratch; all very minor afflictions not requiring treatment from a medical professional drive some people to take time out of their schedule to pay us a visit. At times these visits are annoying, as they can be time-consuming for something very minor, but at times they are uplifting, for example reassuring someone with a headache that it is likely due to dehydration and not to a brain tumor. In the developed world, many of these patients are retired and elderly, with little to no copay so a visit to the doctor every now and then fits right into their routine. Then you have the highly educated patients who spend a bit too much time on Google and think they have a rare disease they read about that explains their myriad of symptoms that is usually attributable to stress, poor diet, lack of exercise or sleep. Then there are the first-time parents who bring their child in for every sniffle, convinced they have pneumonia and need antibiotics. All of these patients are a regular and welcome part of my practice. Part of the reason I switched careers from Emergency to Family Medicine was to have more of this type of patient; to be able to give people good news (“It’s just a cold, you’re going to be fine in a week!”) instead of the all too-often tragic news I had to give to families of the trauma patients I saw in the ED.

 

For many years, I thought the phenomenon of worried well only affected those living in developed nations with regular access to a car and the internet, but after this last week working in Honduras I have noted this is not just a phenomenon in the developed world. Having worked internationally in several different settings from Latin America to Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia, I can attest to the variety of severe diseases that preferentially affect the rural poor such as tuberculosis, malaria, and malnutrition. Additionally, a variety of chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, and coronary artery disease are affecting developing nations thanks to the trickle-down bad habits of developed nations such as processed foods, cigarettes, and inactivity. These are fast become the norm in many societies that once lived more traditional and active lifestyles.

 

I think most physicians from developed nations who work internationally in more impoverished nations have some sort of expectation of advanced disease and exotic illnesses as compared to their usual patient population. I know I have been guilty of this assumption many times while volunteering abroad. Yet the more short medical volunteer trips I go on, the more I notice the phenomenon of the “worried well” is not just confined to wealthier countries. A volunteer doctor in a refugee hospital elegantly describes this sentiment too in the quote below:

 

“I could hardly believe how many people waited in clinic all day long because of colds, headaches, or other minor ailments that my grandmother could have treated. They came in for a variety of reasons, such as a need for reassurance, validation of their illness, or a “laying on of hands.” No matter where you practice, the “worried well” … are part of your everyday routine.”

 

-Dr. Timothy Holtz

A Year in Little Lhasa: One Year in Dharamsala with the Tibetans in Exile

 

What I noted in Honduras was that many patients complained of cough and cold but didn’t seem to have any symptoms. When I would tell them they were fine they suddenly would also complain of a headache or stomach pain and request medications. Sometimes they flat out told me they just wanted some antibiotics or vitamins, or just wanted me to check their children to make sure they “looked alright.” Again, I was more than happy to oblige-well child checks are a regular part of my practice, but I would say the vast majority of patients I saw in Honduras were healthier than my patients in Vallejo! There are obvious other socioeconomic and educational concerns, and they cycle of poverty is very much at play in rural Honduras, but based on what I witnessed last week, most of the adults and children appeared to be in very good health. This is a very good, but surprising thing to me, and granted was just a very small glimpse in time of a very small portion of Honduras population. Many people, including the project leaders, told us how much the health of the local villagers had improved since project ENLACE started coming.

 

I am reassured to hear this good news, and hope that our future efforts will continue to improve the health of the people in Taulabe to the point where volunteer doctors are no longer needed. I am also amazed by the common human need we all have to be touched, validated, and told that we are okay just as we are.

 

Dr. Jessica de Jarnette

PGY-3 Kaiser Napa-Solano Family Medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment