Saturday, August 5, 2017

ALSO - lessons for students and instructors

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and indoor
During our stay in Honduras,  I got to help teach the ALSO (Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics) course to local healthcare professionals. There were nurses, general practitioners and OB faculty in attendance. Many of them drove long distances to learn and were excited to be part of the group. During the 2 days we spent together, I think that in certain ways I learned more from the group then they did from me. They freely shared stories from their day to day and the barriers they face to provide patient care. For example, there are no patient rooms and many times laboring mothers share the same bed. Epidural is not available. Electronic fetal monitoring is very limited and not commonly used. Postpartum follow up is essentially non-existent. Understanding how their medical choices are affected by their environment truly broadened my perspective and makes me grateful for the exchange we had.


Bruna,  PGY-3

No comments:

Post a Comment