Friday, August 4, 2017

Gastronomic Reflections

One of our ice breakers involved choosing an adjective that started with the same letter as your first name - and given that my name starts with an H, there are limited options. Horrifying, horrendous, hasty, happy, hilarious, humble, humiliating, huge, hobbit-like. 
However, I chose Hungry as my adjective and nearly every laughed at me. 
Mainly because it is true. 
I highly doubt however that other people are less hungry than I am, but likely they just don't realize it. Other disclaimer, I don't often eat snacks so meals are my main sustenance. I have tried to get into the habit of snacking, but I cannot count the number of snack bars I have bought and let sit on my desks. Snacks are just not as good as meal time foods. Nonetheless I digress. 

I have tried to put together some photos and descriptions of Honduran foods we ingested during our trip, and unfortunately I only had 3 pictures. I thought I took a lot more but I was obviously mistaken. 

Breakfast in Honduras - lots of pureed beans. I actually grew to really enjoy the beans - some sort of red beans pureed with onions and bell pepper from what I heard. Served with whatever - eggs, plantains, pancakes, tortillas. Apparently it goes with everything. 



Dinner nearly always involved pico de gallo, almost always tortillas, and some sort of protein. The nights we had fried chicken were very popular with the children. They also loved the taquitos. 


You will probably notice the lack of fiber in our diet. But no need to worry about that. Trust me. 

Helen PGY3

No comments:

Post a Comment